Medications at School

If at all possible, parents are asked to adjust the timing of their child's medication so it can be taken outside of school hours. Prescription Medication can be given at school only with a signed authorization form from the physician, H-145 Authorization for Administration of Oral and Auto-Injectable Medication. This form must also be signed by the parent. For asthma inhalers an Asthma Plan form from the American Lung Association is used. It also needs to be signed by a physician and the parent. In addition, we ask the parent to complete an Asthma Information Form for our nurse. Medications should not be sent to school with students.

State law requires that any medication administered at school, whether prescription OR over the counter (Tylenol, Ibuprofen etc.) be accompanied by written parental permission and a doctor's written authorization form.

The authorization form must accompany all medication brought to school and provide details on the type of medication, dosage, and frequency of use.

The medication must be in its ORIGINAL CONTAINER labeled with the student's name (pharmacy label if prescription or write student’s name on over the counter medication bottles).

We cannot administer any medication without the doctor's form. Forms are available in the office. Call the office to have a form mailed home or sent with a sibling. They can also be accessed at the district website: > Our Departments/Programs> Health Services> Medication Policy or School Health forms to download forms.

State law allows administration by staff of ORAL MEDICATION only. We are not permitted to administer eye or ear drops, so you will have to make accommodations for your student to receive these at school, if necessary. Parents may come in to school to administer eye drops to their student.

Students are not allowed to carry and self-administer ANY MEDICATIONS in order to assure the safety of all our students. If your student has been carrying medication in their backpack, please keep it home or send it to the office with the doctor's form.

In selected cases, fifth or sixth graders MAY be given permission to carry and self-medicate with their asthma inhaler. This will be on a case by case basis involving a written contract and permission from doctor, parent, nurse, and principal. Please call the school nurse for information on this program.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.